Monday, October 15, 2007

Load up!!

I was recently talking to a friend about how to carry stuff on a bike. My favorite way is definitely with my panniers...though panniers may not be for everyone.

These are my panniers:


They really aren't very fancy and they cost more than I would have liked, but they really are an investment.

I usually take one pannier with me to work...in there i can fit a change of clothes, lunch, random stuff and various tools in case I have to make a repair.

If I want to go shopping by bike, with two panniers I really don't have to worry about how I'm going to transport it. If I pack smart I can fit lots and lots and lots of stuff in in two bags and then for bulky items, I still have the top of my rack. I just remember to always have my bungie cords with me wherever I go.

If you're just getting using your bike for errands or commuting, the classic milk crate works, though it can get in the way of pedaling. Back when I was using the crate I kind of trimmed it a bit so that my legs wouldn't hit it. Mike crates are ugly but they definitely do the job.

No comments: