Friday, March 30, 2007

I'm taking a bit of a rest today. Last night I was biking home and just go so utterly tired. I don't know if it was the wind or if I was just pushing myself too much, but I felt like there was no way I'd be able to bike both ways today. So...I'm going to be missing out on Critical Mass, which is unfortunate.

I'm thinking that I'm going to really need to pace myself to work up to five days a week. I did 2 and a half days this week for a total of about 50 miles. I just don't think that i would have been able to do it today. So, next week I think that I'll bike Monday, Wednesday and Friday and then take the train Tuesday and Thursday.

As always, the scale is discouraging. I stepped on it today and it didn't show any reduction. I don't know if that's because I'm gaining some muscle or what. I track all of my calories and exercise at fitday.com and I've been running a 500-1000 calorie deficit for every day this week and yet I haven't seen any weightloss this week. Grr...I'm not going to be concerned until I've been doing this whole biking thing regularly for a month, but if there's still no difference after all that time then I'll go over it with a doctor.

Okay, mileage: about 70 total commuting miles

2 comments:

Keebler said...

That's quite a distance you are cycling! I'm not surprised that you are worn out. The gradual increase from 3 days to 5 days a week sounds like a fantastic idea.

When reading your post, a few questions came to mind:

1) Is there any chance that you might be dehydrated? Dehydration can cause a myriad of symptoms, including fatigue and plateaued weight loss. Make sure you take along an ample supply of water (plain H2O -- none of that flavored stuff!) on your biking treks. Even if you don't sweat heavily during your rides, you still need steady hydration.

2) Do you make your FitDay journal available for public viewing? I was curious how many carbs you are eating. If you are using up your energy store, that might explain the tiredness.

3) Are your muscles sore, tired, or both? Increasing your warm-up and cool-down time might help prevent soreness.

4) Since you aren't seeing a change in your weight, are you seeing any other changes? Are your leg muscles firmer? Do your clothes fit differently? I ask this just because so many people get hung up on the numbers on the scale, which can be exasperating. There are so many factors that can affect weight: hydration, time of day, muscle density, body fat, etc. For this reason, it might be good to also track your body measurements as well as your body fat percentage (if you have a scale with that function), especially when you are not seeing progress.

I also wanted to mention to you that I made a website that works in conjunction with FitDay. It allows you to easily add foods into your custom food list. The website is DietFacts.com and it has lots of restaurant food not found elsewhere. I hope you find it helpful.

Best of luck with your cycling!

JamiMaria said...

Thanks for the comment and tips. I probably haven't been drinking enough water while riding. I guess I don't feel like drinking when I'm not hot, and since it's only been about 50 degrees most days, I haven't really felt hot.

I know on Thursday when I got really tired I probably didn't eat right. I only had a glass of juice before heading out. That probably wasn't enough...I really need to go grocery shopping.

I've actually used dietfacts.com before and it's very useful. Thanks for the advice and comments and for your great site!